Monday, July 2, 2007

What's the wisdom in having teeth removed?







Congratulations to my dentist - Julie Smith of the Links Dental Practice in Bruntsfield, Edinburgh.

Today she managed to remove one of my wisdom teeth and I felt not a thing. It was a big bugger too! Marvellous.

Stopped bleeding within minutes. Needed only a couple of painkillers in the 12 hours since.

I expected to have a face like Quasimoda by this evening, but it was so smooth my jaw hasn't even swelled up.

That's the third wisdom tooth I have had removed - and it was lower jaw. I'm led to believe the lowers are the problem molars when it comes to extraction.

Certainly that was how it seemed when I had the previous one whipped out. That time my face swelled so badly I looked like a tennis ball smuggler and lost loads of weight cos I couldn't eat properly.

And my good mate Galutski had his out earlier this year and sure enough it left him with a massively lopsided coupon.

But thanks to Julie Smith (I salute you!) I feel obliged to big up the dental profession.

And it only cost my 28 quid.

Now that I know it's that cheap AND painless, I might have all of my teeth extracted! Then again, I'm quite proud of my pearly whites. Though as you can see from the photo above, there's nothing white about the tooth I've just had out. Maybe I should keep my teeth and just have this one made into a necklace.

And for all those who suffer from dentophobia (yes, apparently that is the correct term for fear of dentists), look on the bright side. Soon the Care Commission in Scotland will be regulating the lot of them. which should mean you can soon find out who is recommended and who aint by checking the regulator's website. Here is a link to the Care Commission (and a few other dental links)

Care Commission TEXT

British Dental Health Foundation TEXT

Beyond Fear TEXT

No comments: